Breadsticks are a wonderful appetizer and snack. If you are feeling hungry, whip some up and serve them with some delicious dipping sauces. Here are a few recipes to get you started.
Amazing Bread Sticks
These breadsticks only take about an hour to make and turn out great every time.
1 T dry yeast
1 T malted milk powder
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
1 T honey
4 cups flour
1. In a large bowl combine the warm water and the yeast. Let it sit for five minutes.
2. Stir in the honey, salt, and malted milk.
3. Gradually add the flour and stir until the dough forms a ball.
4. Place it on a floured counter or cutting board. Knead lightly for one minute.
5. Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and turn each one into a long, thin rope. They should be about ten inches long. You can twist them a few times if you want.
6. Place them on a greased cookie sheet. Brush them with some melted butter and sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, cinnamon sugar, whatever you want.
7. Let them rise for thirty minutes then bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Sausage Cream Sauce
This sauce is amazing with both breadsticks and pasta. If you find yourself wanted to make it often, cook several pounds of sausage at a time and freeze it. Then, you can simply toss some in to the cream sauce when you get a craving.
1 lb sausage, cooked
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic
pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so.
2. Put in the cream, salt, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until the sauce thickens.
3. Add the sausage and pepper. Enjoy!
Vanilla Cream Frosting
Do you have a sweet tooth? Whip up some of this frosting to go with your breadsticks the next time you make them.
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 T milk or cream
1. Beat the butter for two minutes with an electric hand mixer.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. You can also add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon if you want to.
Here is a quick, easy marinara recipe you can make in the microwave in just a few minutes. If you dip your breadstick in this sauce and then the sausage cream sauce, you will think your taste buds have died and gone to heaven.
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl or small saucepan.
2. Warm and serve!
The next time you are hungry and don't want to visit a restaurant for these appetizers, try these bread sticks and sauces. They are delicious!