Almost everyone who has ever cooked a pizza typically bakes it in their ovens at home. However, the restaurants here in Calgary and across Canada cook it three different ways. If you want to try your hand at cooking pizza like your favorite eateries, here is how.
You already put pizza on a rack in your oven, so why not put it on the grill? It takes a little practice, but you can add a little extra flavor to your pizza by grilling it. Start by heating up your grill, then follow these steps:
- Make sure the coals are white, if you use charcoal. If you use a gas grill, turn the heat to low because grills are hotter than oven ranges and you do not want to overcook the pizza.
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the grill rack, taking care that the edges do not fall through the rungs.
- Close the lid on the grill for a few minutes to get all the toppings cooked and the cheese melted.
- Open the lid and let the crust get nicely toasted and crunchy.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and set it aside to cool, checking the underside and the crust for a deep golden brown color.
Now you have a nice grilled pizza!
Wood Fired Pizza
You have probably seen these old-style bread ovens, fueled by wood logs and in which everything from pizza to loaves of bread are cooked. Sometimes people refer to this type of cooking stove as a "pizza oven," not to be confused with a metallic small appliance that cooks pizza. If you want to cook pizza this way, it is going to be more costly because
- you must first construct a wood-fired pizza oven, which costs a few thousand dollars.
- you have to buy a special pizza stone or wooden paddle to remove the pizza.
- you would have to consume a lot of homemade pizza to make this option worth installing the oven.
Still, wood-fired pizza provides you with the experience of eating something more authentic.
Gigantic Versions of the Metal Pizza Oven
If you eat a lot of pizza or entertain guests that do, then maybe this option is right for you. Investing a couple thousand dollars into a restaurant-sized commercial pizza oven helps you cook more pizza than you ever thought possible. These commercial ovens also cook pizza in less than half the time of your standard residential oven. Talk to a restaurant like Chicago Deep Dish Pizza for more information.